Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cash, it's Just as good as Money


I am informed by my daily newspaper that because there have been thefts from local libraries of the money collected from fines imposed on borrowers of overdue books, they will now change the system of collecting the funds due. Anyone choosing to pay his fines must now do so with a credit card or a check. I have several objections and observations about this.

The news item related that from one branch library the daily take from fines collected was over $300 and this amount was found missing after a break-in the previous night. My question is: why do you leave that amount of money available on the premises? Most businesses make a night deposit to their bank account at the end of each day after closing. I have owned several businesses and that is what I did. Is it so difficult to drop by the bank and deposit funds on your way home or wherever? Can't the manager (librarian) or a trusted worker do this simple task?

Another question is: how do you expect a person to pay his fines if he/she has no credit card or checking account? Will the library trade for labor? Can the delinquent party stack books, dust shelves or sweep floors to work the fine off?

Another question is: Isn't the library breaking the law by refusing to accept legal tender as payment for a monetary debt? I believe this is true. The U.S. government prints on its paper money the statement: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." That is fairly plain and clear. So - - - I suggest that if you owe the library money, whether for book fines or any other matter, you pay them in cash; and, if they won't accept it inform them that they will hear from your lawyers. I'm - - - - -

Just say'n