Saturday, January 29, 2011

Celebreties


I am a star-struck celebrity fan. Since childhood I have always been impressed by the famous. And, during a long life I have bumped into a few (sometimes literally). I remember the first famous person I recognized. It was Pres. Herbert Hoover. He had just lost an election and was visiting our town, Grass Valley, Calif. I was a lad of about 9 yrs. and spent most summer days in the city park where I could swim in the public pool. On this particular day I noticed several vans parking along the roadway into the park. They were news vans, like Pathe News, which carried movie photographers to film events of interest to moviegoers. The photographers set up their cameras (2 reel, hand-cranked) on tall tripods on the roof tops of the vans. So, I naturally hung out nearby to see what was going to happen. In time an auto cavalcade arrived with the president riding in an open 4-door car in the lead. As it moved slowly along the roadway I began to run alongside the car, waving my arms for the cameras, like any boy would do. I am sure I was seen across the nation when the event was shown that week in local theaters.
The California State Fair was a great place to see celebrities. As my wife and I left the park at closing time we were walking between two large display buildings and saw a figure approaching. It was Leo Carrillo, a famous Mexican actor who starred in the TV series "The Cisco Kid." We had just watched him display his horsemanship in some daring rides at the racetrack arena in a special show. I greeted him and thanked him for such a fine performance and he chatted with us for awhile.
Also at the fair one morn my wife, my sons and I were early birds and among the first to enter the Counties Building where each county displayed its wares. As we approached the first booth we saw a group of men already there. It was the governor of California, Pat Brown, father of our present newly elected governor, and a group of reporters. They turned as we approached and Pat bent over towards my son Kenneth and asked "Do you know who I am?" Kennie was about 7 yrs. old. He quickly replied "Yes, Sir, you are the governor." They were all impressed and some newsmen took his name.
Other presidents I have seen include John F. Kennedy, who made a speech from the back of a train along the tracks near Broadway in Sacramento. I heard he was to be there and hurried to gain a vantage point. There was something about John F. that was inexplicable. A sort of aura that he projected when he spoke. I was captivated and became a devoted Kennedy supporter. I also attended a 'back of train' speech by Harry H. Truman, who spoke of his connections via land holdings in the Sacramento area. The Dwight D. Eisenhower that I met was not yet president; he was a General in command of the European invasion of WWII. I was a mere private on guard who stopped his command car as it left a parking area. His license plate which displayed 5 stars was covered at the time or I would have simply saluted as it left. I quickly recognized him, saluted and waved his driver on. I also saw Lyndon Johnson when he visited Sacramento. His cavalcade of autos came from Executive airport directly through my mail route. I knew when he was due (I had watched secret service men being posted on the nearby rooftops) so I hurried a couple of blocks away to get my mother and my wife who were at the laundromat we owned. We stood by as his cavalcade passed and I took photos.
The celebs I bumped into were always professional fighters. I did so a couple of times with Buddy Baer, a huge heavyweight fighter and brother to world champion Max Baer (Max's son was a star on the TV series "Beverly Hill Billies,"). I bumped into him first at the Alhambra theatre (since torn down) as I left the candy counter. A second time was not actually a bump but I asked the large man who paused in front of my seat at the ball game to please move on. It was Buddy and I immediately apologized. Hey, I am 5' 6" and not a fighter. I also literally bumped into Joe Louis, heavyweight champion of the world. It was during the war and I was leaving the line where one rinsed out one's mess kit after dinner and turned right into the champ. He was accompanied by the original Sugar Ray Robinson, who stepped forward as if to protect the champion. Again I apologized and Joe smiled his acceptance. This has to be an inherited trait - - bumping into the famous - - because my mother once pushed open the doorway of a lunchroom and stepped into the arms of Jimmy Stewart, the actor. He was in the Air Force and stationed at nearby Mather Field during the war. So - - not my fault - - -'
I'm just sayin -

No comments:

Post a Comment