Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentine Story # 2



I met Karilyn in roundabout way. A family friend, Vivian Smothers, who had lived in Rio Linda, Calif. close to my home before moving away to Heyburn, Idaho gave me a call. She had married and after some problems moved back to California with her two sons to find work. She called soon after her return to let me know her whereabouts and to catch up on family news. I had been widowed for a few years and was delighted to hear from a friend. We chatted and I asked her to join me for lunch. She said that it might be difficult as she had a “terrible two” year old son. I laughed and said that children were never terrible and he would be welcome. She added that she also had a young woman with her who was going to care for her sons (she had two) while she worked. I told her to bring her along as well.


I chose a nearby Mexican restaurant called “The White Horse” that I knew served a variety of tasty ethnic meals that could offer something for everyone. And, when I arrived ahead of time I was astonished to find that this favorite dining spot had changed! It was now a Japanese restaurant. Seems I had been out of touch for awhile.
Vivian and child soon arrived accompanied by her child care assistant. I watched as they approached and we were introduced. Karilyn was a tall, blonde young lady with a very straight posture. She was wearing a light colored blouse and a blue paisley skirt as well as a brilliant wide smile that immediately captured your attention. In the ensuing conversation she seemed at ease and displayed intelligence and a quick wit. I was eager to catch up with all that happened to Vivian since her departure, so we lingered over lunch for awhile. At some point I mentioned how I had become almost a hermit, seldom venturing out except for family affairs and missed the frequent dine-out forays I had made in the city and surrounding areas. I said that now that Vivian was back in town I would love to have her join me in checking out the various eateries from time to time; and, then I ventured to Karilyn: “You, as well, I would like to double my opportunities to get out to dinner more frequently.” She smiled and said “Okay.” The strange coincidence of this first meeting is that it was St. Valentine’s Day.


After a few days I did invite Vivian to join me for dinner and a visit to a local club where my son was performing as lead guitarist with a rock-n-roll band. It was nice to get out for a change. A week or so later during an afternoon I got a call from Karilyn. She was right to the point. She said I had offered to take Vivian and her out to dinner but had not yet received her invitation. I had made the offer as the polite and proper thing to do but was delighted that she had accepted. Thus I arranged to pick her up at Vivian’s parent’s home in Rio Linda one evening and I took her to an unusual dining spot. The Red Baron at the Sacramento Executive Airport where as we dined we could watch the planes take off and land. This dinner lasted for four hours! We couldn’t stop talking. We had so much to share. She told me of her childhood, how she had spent her high school years in a body cast because of a life-threatening spinal condition that needed correction (thus the erect posture); how she had worked in the large potato shipping plants in Idaho; attended Brigham Young Univ. briefly; worked as an Au Pair with a prominent family in Connecticut (see note below); served as an office assistant in a Public Relations firm that handled celebrities in Salt Lake City, was employed in the office of an insurance company and was now recently employed as all-around office clerk for a refrigeration firm in our city. Note: An au pair lives with a host family for a short period of time, between 1 month and 2 years, and is primarily responsible for looking after the children and doing light housework. Au pair duties may include driving children to and from school or helping with homework. Au Pairs can help a family by providing flexible, affordable and live-in child care for around a thousand dollars a month. The host family of an au pair will provide room and board.


Karilyn was great company and I continued to badger her to dine out and I called on her at her work place often. My old Army buddy was Vivian’s father and he worked at the refrigeration company as well. He only knew me as “Scotty” and in conversation with Karilyn on their commute homeward he would talk of our times together. One day he mentioned that he thought “Scotty” was “falling for” her. She looked puzzled and said who is this “Scotty?” He replied “Well, he is Ken.” I do not know her reaction at that moment.


As time went by we began to date more often and eventually it was apparent that I had indeed “fallen for” this young lady. She was not put off by the attention but it was obvious that there were several barriers to a closer relationship. First there was the differences in religion. Karilyn was from parent’s who were descended from the earliest members of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. She was brought up steeped in the doctrines of her faith. I was a non-denominational minister. Further, I was a generation older and this would be a May-September romance. In long discussions about these problems we somehow found a middle ground or the decision that it didn’t matter. In time I asked her to marry me and offered a ring. She would only accept it as a “Maybe Ring.” In the meantime we traveled to Rupert, Idaho to visit with her family. I also fell immediately in love with them. What a delight to meet her vivacious, talented mother and to exchange war stories with her dad. The children were happy to crawl all over this stranger in their midst and to be staring at me close up at first dawn when I awoke in the morn. They ranged from toddler to college age; all bursting with bright intelligence and exuberance.
Back in Sacramento after dinner at my home late in December. Karilyn said “Do you remember your proposal?” I momentarily panicked and said “Yes.” A pause and then she said “I accept.” We were married the following week. It often pays to take a chance. We have two beautiful, lovely daughters and a strong intellectual son. While we are not still together I love them all and I’m
Just sayin’

No comments:

Post a Comment